Gear review - MTB/tires: Continental Der Baron Projekt

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
AB
 AB
(@piksinis)
Topic starter

DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional tester, neither a professional or an expert rider - I am just an ordinary intermediate, who would like to share some experience with some of products I use/ed

WHAT: 29” Continental Der Baron Projekt 2.5”

WHY: I was looking for a more “winter” tire to replace my “summer” Schwalbe Hans Dampf, which would not be too heavy and grip well in “Zürich winter” - mud, snow and etc. Tires I have also considered: Schwalbe Magic Mary - I was using that before, and the one with Ultra Soft compound would be my 2nd choice, but since Schwalbe went significantly heavier in latest versions, I was not ready to put 1.3-1.4kg tires on my bike. I have also looked into MTB Verdict or Verdict Wet - also heavy, and availability at that time was limited, Maxxis Shorty - I am not an overall fan of Maxxis, thus Maxx Grip is also very heavy.

SETUP: AM bike, with 160mm (front)/145mm (back) full suspension, 35mm internal width 29” hookless carbon rims, setup as tubeless (with Stan's, if that matters), typical pressure: Front - 12-13 psi, Rear - 14-15 psi.

WHERE: local trails around Zürich during “off season” (November - March)

HOW: not an aggressive rider, rather on a “light and smooth” side - no jumps, no aggressive carving

PROS:

• Grip is really good in mud, wet and snow (both fresh and packed)
  • Relatively light (I have not weight them, TBH, so rely on manufacturer info)
  • Tubeless setup was relatively easy, but I have to admit that the first time I tried them 2-3 years ago, they went off the rim. But could be my mistake back then

CONS:

• Slow rolling, you really feel that climbing up, especially compare to such tires as Schwalbe HD
  • I am not sure they are good on rocks/stones - there is not much around Zürich to try that and prove, but felt few times a bit sketchy on flat rocks
  • Perhaps on narrower side by numbers, but I would not really say that seeing them in reality

OVERALL: I would recommend them for those who are looking for a not too aggressive, not too heavy tire for off-season riding in wet, muddy and snowy conditions. Just post your questions here, in case any.

Jar Jar Binks

Posted : 15/03/2021 1:50 pm
Dave
 Dave
(@dave)

Would you definitely take it over a "Magic Mary"?

A sociable outdoor sports freak who enjoys getting out on the mountains and lakes as often as possible.

Posted : 15/03/2021 2:03 pm
AB
 AB
(@piksinis)
Topic starter

Well, if I would compare to previous "lighter" version of Super Soft - perhaps not. But with the current much heavier: you probably loose a bit of traction with Conti, on the other hand, it is 300 or even 400 gr lighter than MM (per tire). So I have chosen this way, and I guess it depends on priorities. 

Jar Jar Binks

Posted : 15/03/2021 2:41 pm
Dave reacted
Share: